Re: vmware/mandrake 9.1 problem

Subject: Re: vmware/mandrake 9.1 problem
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 11:32:00 AKST

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 09:24, Tim Jordan, DOL&WD Network Services wrote:

> Leif and aklug:
>
> My boss at work grabbed the Mandrake 9.1 disks off my desk while I was out
> ofthe office yesterday :-) . I copied the ISO's from games.gci.net.
>
> He is having problems getting his VMware up and running...which worked fine
> under Redhat 8.1
>
> Any advice would be great.
>
> Tim
>

> Joe Spears wrote:
>

> I got the following message when trying to configure VMware 4.0 rc2. At
> first I didn't have the src files loaded, but I think I loaded them
> correctlyand then got this message. I couldn't find where to install the
> srcfiles for 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise.
>
> Joe
>
> #####
> Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.
>
> None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
> running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module
> for
> your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]
>
> Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.
>
> As of September 2002, gcc version 3 and later is not yet a supported
> compilerby
> the Linux kernel development team. Have a look at Documentation/Changes in
> your
> kernel source directory to get the correct compiler installed. Do you want
> togo
> with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.2"? [no] yes
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include/linux
>
> The path "/usr/include/linux" is an existing directory, but it does not
> contain
> at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include
>
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21) does not match your running
> kernel (version 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise). Even if the module were to
> compile
> successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The kernel headers must match the running kernel, is there a header
package that matches the 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise kernel, exactly. I am
not familiar with MDK naming conventions but VMware doesn't thing the
headers and kernel match. Everything must be compiled with the same ver
of gcc also.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.