Re: vmware/mandrake 9.1 problem

Subject: Re: vmware/mandrake 9.1 problem
From: Tim Jordan, DOL&WD Network Services (Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 09:24:58 AKST

Leif and aklug:

My boss at work grabbed the Mandrake 9.1 disks off my desk while I was out
ofthe office yesterday :-) . I copied the ISO's from games.gci.net.

He is having problems getting his VMware up and running...which worked fine
under Redhat 8.1

Any advice would be great.

Tim

Joe Spears wrote:

I got the following message when trying to configure VMware 4.0 rc2. At
first I didn't have the src files loaded, but I think I loaded them
correctlyand then got this message. I couldn't find where to install the
srcfiles for 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise.

Joe

#####
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module
for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

As of September 2002, gcc version 3 and later is not yet a supported
compilerby
the Linux kernel development team. Have a look at Documentation/Changes in
your
kernel source directory to get the correct compiler installed. Do you want
togo
with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.2"? [no] yes

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include/linux

The path "/usr/include/linux" is an existing directory, but it does not
contain
at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21) does not match your running
kernel (version 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise). Even if the module were to
compile
successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.