Re: SWAP!?!? WAS: Re: software RAID vs hardware RAID

Subject: Re: SWAP!?!? WAS: Re: software RAID vs hardware RAID
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 12:50:21 AKST

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:

> Why on EARTH do you have 2GB of swap?
>
> Just really, really curious.

If you have a fast system you may need it. The box I am sitting at is
512MB ram and 1.5GB swap. and I push 1GB into swap at least a couple
times a week.

Systems that only handle interactive users stuff for a single user
normally don't go far into swap without issues, many others do. A
system needs enough memory to keep all the live interactive items in
memory, and some for the system to play with or things get clunky, but
on a system that does more than just play desktop, there is often 2 to
3 times the *interactive users stuff* in system tasks, compiles, etc.
It is of course faster if you can fit everything into main mem, but
this is not always possable.

--
I route, therefore you are.