Re: ssh -X versus VNC

Subject: Re: ssh -X versus VNC
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 08:02:55 AKST

On 25 Feb 2003, shortpier wrote:

> use xdpyinfo in a terminal and it tells you what the Xserver can do and
> the extensions
>
> OPENGL is a Rendering call to the X system so if remote is opengl you
> can have remote opengl.
>
> Remote apps can be faster displayed on another machine then on the
> local one.
>
> 1 machine is doing the program calculation and one machine does the
> graphic calculations. The only thing I have had problems running over
> remote X is Xshm ... for some reason you cant share memory over the lan
> :)

Huh. As I recall GL calls wrote directly to the framebuffer, ignoring X
altogether. Windowed GL applications used a little voodoo to get/send
notifications of geometry changes to the window, but beyond that X wasn't even
in the picture. In that model, there's really no way to use remote X servers.

Either I've had my head up the ass the whole time, or things have changed
considerably since I last played with that stuff. . .

        --Arthur Corliss