Re: ssh -X versus VNC

Subject: Re: ssh -X versus VNC
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 22:26:19 AKST

use xdpyinfo in a terminal and it tells you what the Xserver can do and
the extensions

OPENGL is a Rendering call to the X system so if remote is opengl you
can have remote opengl.

Remote apps can be faster displayed on another machine then on the
local one.

1 machine is doing the program calculation and one machine does the
graphic calculations. The only thing I have had problems running over
remote X is Xshm ... for some reason you cant share memory over the lan
:)

Shortpier

10 mins, Bill Gates, and a baseball bat. Is this to much to ask God?

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 08:08, Arthur Corliss wrote:

    On 24 Feb 2003, shortpier wrote:
   =20
> On a switched full duplex 100mbts lan I can play Armagetron with full
> opngl support, vmware, wine etc .
   =20
    Now I have a question (but take it easy one me, as far as I'm concerned=
 X is
    just a way to get twenty terminals on the screen at once ;-): when did=
 XF86
    start supporting remote OpenGL? Back in the day SGI boxes could export
    hardware accelerated displays, but only to other SGI boxes (back in the=
 IrisGL
    days, before OpenGL). The last that I knew, no other vendor had implem=
ented
    those X extensions. I can see if it's done entirely within software, b=
ut
    hardware GL?
   =20
    :-P Shame on me for not reading all of the release notes, eh? ;-)
   =20
            --Arthur Corliss
   =20
   =20
   =20

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part