Platform

Subject: Platform
From: Terrance Thomascik (tthomascik@alaskalife.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 22:55:24 AKST

Hi All,

I'm a linux newbie, but have been paying attention to the e-mail, and
learning alot. I'd like to take classes on red hat, etc, but won't have time
till after March. So I don't know how to upgrade my suse and linux programs
for online security warnings I've seen, or execute the patches for the
systems. My only training was cobol and fortran in high school 67. I have
done front page ms successfuly. Some experience with Heath kit for ham
radio. I'm trying to change to linux full time at some point in time.
    I read that government agencies are switching back to MAC platforms
because ibm/pc platforms have been compromised by something callled the
PROMIS software. Back door programs can be used to reach into a dormant pc
via modem connection, turn it on, and download everything with no one the
wiser.

    1- are linux programs suceptible with their platforms?

    2- the power to my computer and everything, is turned off manually from
my surge protector. Can it be activated remotely ? ( i don't think so, but I
know wireless is very open, security wise, to use by anyone with knowledge
of it.)

        I hope the linux programs aren't suceptible so I have to get a MAC.

        Terry Thomascik