Re: Platform

Subject: Re: Platform
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 01:03:31 AKST

I can't find anything about a 'promis' hack. The only way your computer
can be turned on remotely is if YOU install hardware to enable it. eg;
wake-on-modem, wake-on-lan. If you don't set-up your computer with the
ability, it won't have it. And I don't know of any consumer-computers
that come with this already set-up.

Surge protectors can't be activated remotely over the net.

Suse has a tool called Yast2 that should be able to help you with
updates, security and otherwise. Look for part with the 'online
updates'.

Macs are now running a variant of BSD and BSD has always been considered
somewhat more secure than Linux, but Apple has also made it more 'user
friendly' which usually reduces security, so I don't know where they
stand comparatively. I don't know that OS-X has been out long enough
where anyone really knows yet.

Jim Gribbin