Re: Wireless

Subject: Re: Wireless
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 00:10:43 AKST

Oops, my bad. It's part of wlan-ng, an add-on (sort of).

I just finished setting it up on my Compaq laptop running RH 7.0 w/
2.2.22 kernel and pcmcia 3.2.3. As I'm not using the RH pcmcia rpm, but
pcmcia stock source, it shouldn't be too much different than setting up
on Debian.

First off, you shouldn't need the 2.4 kernel to get this working.
According to Linux-wlan's README, they have tested it with the 2.2.13
Kernel and pcmcia 3.1.10 (on the PowerPC anyway). You probably do need
the tools available to compile a kernel however and to have configured
it. I suspect that a 'make oldconfig' should work. Should do a Makefile
set-up just like the stock installed kernel.

To do the install, I pretty much just followed the instructions in their
README at:

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README

Afterwords, I just added the information for the my SpeedStream card in
'/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf' and the ESSID in 'etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts.
You may not have to edit the '.conf' file as I believe it's already
set-up for you card.

I will be curious to see if it works better than the orinoco drivers at
Fri Linux. For some reason my wireless card works fine at home and at
work, but it hasn't worked under linux at Fri Linux since IDEA changed
to that wireless link between the buildings. Must be some kind of freq.
or channel problem that the orinoco driver won't discriminate. Hopefully
the prism driver will.

Jim Gribbin