Re: A little direction please

Subject: Re: A little direction please
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 13:14:58 AKST

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Tim Johnson wrote:

> I've read a little about the 'parrot' project - which is a
> component of the Perl 6.0 (planned) implementation. If I understand
> correctly, it is meant to compile both perl and python. Perhaps
> Arthur knows more about that.

Parrot was originally a April Fool's Day joke along those lines, and the Perl
6 developers thought it amusing enough to call the byte code execution engine
that.

As a psuedo virtual machine implementation, you could theoretically use any
language to produce byte code that will execute on it, but Perl is (to my
knowledge) the only language currently in development. If Perl 6 is a success
(and I wouldn't bet against it ;-) you may see other languages adopt it as
their core engine as well. But for now, the Python thing is still just part
of an April Fool's Day joke.

        --Arthur Corliss