Re: A little direction please

Subject: Re: A little direction please
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 13:43:00 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <arthur@corlissfamily.org> [030214 10:07]:

> > If I wanted to be a flexible admin..working both M$ and the Linux
> > arena......and wanted to write scripts for both environments...what
> > language would you suggest I learn? I've been writing short command
> > scripts and vbs scripts...but if I'm going to put time into learning
> > scripting I want to be a flexable as possible.
>
> Having been in that unenviable position in the past (but thankfully no longer
> ;-), I would have to suggest Perl. ActiveState's Perl implementation includes
> WSH bindings, and couple that with the Win32::Lanman module, and you have
> access to just about anything you need. I've used to provide an intelligent
> logon script framework, used Perl/Tk to provide help desk with a GUI user
> management tool for the domain controllers, and so on.

  I agree with Arthur but would add a couple of notes: Python (which is
  also a part of ActiveState) is worth investigating also.

  In my company, I program primarily in rebol and python (as scripting
  langauges). My partner programs perl for the most part.

  One of my brothers is a project engineer for Motorola. For their
  system admin and internal programming, they use a balance of Perl
  and rebol. They do a lot of stuff with rebol with sockets,
  since TCP/IP is compiled into the binary. I would note that
  rebol/core does not provide system calls and has a liberal
  licensing requirement for their /core module.

  I've read a little about the 'parrot' project - which is a
  component of the Perl 6.0 (planned) implementation. If I understand
  correctly, it is meant to compile both perl and python. Perhaps
  Arthur knows more about that.
  HTH

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>