SH & PL scripts

Subject: SH & PL scripts
From: furbs (furbs@mail.swjedi.net)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 00:48:49 AKST

I have an obscure issue, I have a bash script that will take input from th
ecommand line (ie './script.pl username'). It will take the username($1) that
was given to it and echo it out to a filename:
echo "$1" >> $1\_tempfile

The script then calls a perl script and redirects this file into it. The perl
script has a section to accept standard input <STDIN>. This was working fine
for a while without any problems.

However recently for some reason the scripts stopeed working properly. Now it
only works every other time you run it. Exactly every other time. For some
reason, when it doesn't work, the input into the bash script doesn't work. You
can echo it back out and it's there, but it doesn't create the file with the
username, and doesn't echo anything into the file. The file is removed at the
conclusion of the script every time. The bash script is also called using sudo,
but it does the same thing when not run with sudo. Any thoughts as to what
would cause this? I'm kinda stumped.

     Brian ThunderEagle
      - http://www.swjedi.net
      - furbs@swjedi.net