RE: web access problems

Subject: RE: web access problems
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 08:14:17 AKST

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Jan Zumwalt wrote:

> I switched from GCI two years ago because GCI was doing that to me. Starting
> with about 6mo ago ACS has been doing the same thing. What I notice is that
> certain times of the day or night will all of a sudden come to a screeching
> halt. Most notably is 4-5pm and then again about 1am.
> The symptoms are immediately noticeable. On downloads I usually get 25k bps,
> but during those times it will drop to 3-4k bps. The fastest I have ever
> received is 38k bps. I know it is ACS because Arthur's box is hosting my
> home page - that should be a straight shot for ACS. The information flow
> from my web site will start the herky jerky and last one to two hours.
> I have a memory like an elevant, ACS may have me over a barrel at the moment
> but when the next game comes into town, they will loose my money for many
> years to come. I have been watching ATT very closely. I am hoping that ATT
> will be viable in a year or two.

<G> I wish you'd do some kind of checking of the facts before jumping to
conclusions, Jan. It is *not* a straight shot from ACS to my server. From my
workstation on the ACS network, I'm counting 20 hops between it and the
server. Lots of other networks between us.

FYI, my server's bandwidth is provisioned through AT&T, and I'm not terribly
happy with them, either.

        --Arthur Corliss