Re: linux to XP file transfers are slow

Subject: Re: linux to XP file transfers are slow
jonr@destar.net
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 12:52:55 AKST

Okay, after a little testing, I am able to transfer from XP to linux or
freebsd a 650M file in 11min according to the copy progress box in XP. It
was a little faster but I didnt have my stopwatch with me, still not what
I would expect for a 100Mb connection but about what you would expect for
a 10Mb. The same file going from the *nix side takes over an hour and
almost two. I have all systems running at 100Mb according to the lights on
the switch.

I can ghost 20 systems simultaneously with a 650M file from XP to our lab
systems in 13 minutes using ghost multicasting. So this makes me think
that it has to be how linux and XP are talking to each other. The freebsd
box has samba and the RH box does not but that doesn't matter.

My next test I will create a cross-over cable and directly link the two
boxes and see if there is any difference. I can watch the transfer with
ethereal but reading what I am seeing is two different things. Does anyone
have a good online doc that explains how to read the conversation? Has
anyone else other than me experienced this with XP and Linux/FreeBSD?

Is there more information that I could give that would help? Please let me
know and I will pass it on to the list.

Jon