RE: list description

Subject: RE: list description
From: Larry Collier (larry@medease.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 13:32:20 AKST

This is the strangest discussion I've seen yet.

"reply" would send this to Arthur only but that is almost, but not quite,
never what I want to do.

"reply to all" would send this to Arthur, Greg, and the list as "cc". So
three people would get to see this twice. Since I'm sending, I don't mind
deleting my copy of the message returning to me from the list. At least I
know it made it that far.

I frequently see threads with "missing" messages - that's why I don't
generally remove any but the most useless of stuff from posts I'm replying
to. I have found the answers to the questions asked to be one the best
learning tools available. If I don't need your answer to some question, I
can delete it. If I can't read it, I'll never know.

My vote would be to have "reply" send to the list only. In the few cases I
want to reply directly, I'll change the address.

"STFW" -- this may be genetic but when I search the web, I get two kinds of
items. One is a lot of information about subjects which I really do not
want to know about; the other is lots of information about subjects which
are really interesting but not what I need to know right now. After burning
up hours of time on either one of these, "STFW" ceases to be a kind
response.

"RTFM" -- this may also be genetic, but I spend hours reading and rereading
the "FM" and frequently come to the belief that that writers of the "FM" do
not speak english or any other known human language. I also wonder why they
left out the answer to my problem.

My particular question may be really stupid to a lot of people reading the
list and I frequently know that. But a quick answer with a url or the
command that I need to get this problem done with, is greatly appreciated
and takes very little more time than "RTFM" or "STFW" when the responder
knows the answer. If you're going to give me an acronym rather than an
answer, please, don't bother.

Microsoft spends a lot of money appearing to be "friendly". Linux does not
have the same budget. If we want Linux to spread, we need to REALLY BE
FRIENDLY.

GREG: Thanks for the note about SLUG, I didn't know there was another list
out there.

Larry Collier