Re: list description

Subject: Re: list description
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 10:41:26 AKST

Cripes, this thread won't go away, so let me try to end it.

Look, for all of you unhappy with how the list is configured, feel free to
blame me. I was one of the most vocal advocates of *not* having the list on
the default reply address, and I did so on the following premises:

  1) Sometimes you want to reply and may include some personal dialogue
     or off-topic stuff. In these cases it would be inappropriate to
     reply to the list, and you shouldn't have to edit your To: line
     to do so.
  2) Many people have posted with a 'reply to me off list' type query.
     Again, you shouldn't have to edit your To: line manually to do so.
  3) It only takes one key stroke or mouse click to reply-to-all to
     send a message to the list, but if the list is set as the default,
     there's manual header editing required to get a private message
     out. This applies to 99% of the e-mail clients out there.
  4) Most people are quicker to hit the 'reply' button than the 'reply-to-all'
     button, which means there's less likelihood of someone sending out
     something inappropriate or offensive to everyone. This actually
     keeps some of the flame wars off the list.

Now, these reasons would seem to me to make the list *more* user-friendly, not
less.

At this point, I don't care what you people want to do with this list. Have a
vote on it if you want to change it. If the majority likes it how it is, then
just inform the new users how the list works. And let's take the opportunity
to educate our new users on attention to detail. You should always examine
your address lines before sending something out. Ultimately, if you don't
know where your message is going, it's your fault, not anyone else's.

That said, if you want to privately call me a jackass, I've made it really
easy for you to do so: just click *reply* and flame away. . .

        --Arthur Corliss