Re: DNS/Smoothwall question

Subject: Re: DNS/Smoothwall question
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 15:17:16 AKST

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:08:42 -0900
"Justin Dieters" <enderak@gci.net> wrote:

> I don't know enough about DNS to know what the problem is, but I
> want to be able to get around my internal network using hostnames,
> but doing that, I sometimes have problems accessing sites on the
> internet. Is there some sort of caching for DNS on the Smoothwall
> box that might be causing it to give me wrong IP's sometimes? Any
> other ideas how I should have my DNS set up?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

I took a look at Smoothwall's site, downloaded their .pdf docs, and
could not figure out which DNS they are using - djbdns or bind.

I use bind at home, so if Dee's djdns links don't pan out, take a look
at /etc/named.conf and make sure the following lines are in the
options section:

        forwarders {
                208.138.130.16;
                209.96.62.16;
                };
        forward first;

That should get you going with GCI. (It is what my Bind 9 DNS server
at home is using, and I have never had any trouble resolving external
sites.)

HTH,

James