DNS/Smoothwall question

Subject: DNS/Smoothwall question
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 11:08:42 AKST

Hey all, I have a Smoothwall box set up, and a GCI Cable modem. I get
ip's for my internal network through DHCP from the Smoothwall. If I set
my DNS to be my Smoothwall box, most sites will work, but occasionally I
get sites that don't work, or will stop working suddenly. If I set my
DNS to GCI's servers, all the sites work fine, but I can't access sites
on my network with hostnames. I have to either put them into /etc/hosts
or use their IP's.

I don't know enough about DNS to know what the problem is, but I want to
be able to get around my internal network using hostnames, but doing
that, I sometimes have problems accessing sites on the internet. Is
there some sort of caching for DNS on the Smoothwall box that might be
causing it to give me wrong IP's sometimes? Any other ideas how I
should have my DNS set up?

Thanks,
Justin