Re: CD ROM Burners and more

Subject: Re: CD ROM Burners and more
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (largely@innocent.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 13:10:10 AKST

* William Bouterse <bill@bouterse.com> [2002-12-04 09:45]:
> My pertinent lilo shows;
>
> append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"
>
> Is this a Debian feature or do other distros require
> manual configuration!!??

I think it's more involved with the intent of the distro. For Gentoo,
the intent is to install as little as possible and still have a working
installation. This means that you have to setup anything that is not
absolutely required for booting and networking. For other distros, such
as Red Hat, Mandrake, etc. the purpose is to make things as seamless as
possible for the end user, thus they include EVERYTHING by default, and
you don't have to setup most things because the support is already
there.

> I am NOT trying to get into a what distro is better war
> merely asking "is this the norm"..to use in reference
> discussions with prospective Linux users, as relatively
> "brainless" cd-burning is one of the "musts" with most....
> After showing them what gcombust,xcdroast, and a non-crippled xine
> and dvdrip can do, they take an interest.......

For most newbies to BSD/*nix, I'd recommend Mandrake, Red Hat, or Suse.
Those seem to be the mose user-friendly of the bunch. ;]

Regards,

  dave