Re: CD ROM Burners

Subject: Re: CD ROM Burners
From: James Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 21:44:47 AKST

You need to turn on scsi emulation for the CD. You probably don't need
to get into modifiying the kernel as most modern disto kernels already
have that module enabled, you just need to tell Linux to use it. On my
system the CD Burner is the master on the secondary ide interface (hdc).
If yours is different, adjust accordingly.

Log in or 'su' to root,
edit '/etc/lilo.conf' to add the line 'append=hdc=ide-scsi' (text file),
re-run lilo, type 'lilo -v' as root,
reboot,
log back in as root or su there,
run 'cdrecord -scanbus', It will show any scsi devices on your system
including you CDROM.

Here is the '/etc/lilo' off one of my systems for reference:

[root@be6 /root]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b