Re: CD ROM Burners

Subject: Re: CD ROM Burners
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (largely@innocent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 20:35:00 AKST

* Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net> [2002-12-03 20:30]:
> Alas! Stopped by the ol' Fake SCSI trick. I am having the same
> problem. I am running Debian Woody (3.0r0) and attempting to set up
> a burner for my shack, home work station. The burner software,
> cdrecord, insists on talking SCSI exclusively. So, one must set up
> the IDE burner as a SCSI device.

This is straight from the gentoo install doc for i386:
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml)

#v+
If you have an IDE cd burner, then you need to enable SCSI emulation in
the kernel. Turn on "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support" ---> "IDE, ATA and ATAPI
Block devices" ---> "SCSI emulation support" (I usually make it a
module), then under "SCSI support" enable "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM
support" and "SCSI generic support" (again, I usually compile them as
modules).
#v-

I'm pretty sure that I've had an IDE burner working with that type of
setup before, but can't be certain. Been a while since I had a burner
on a BSD/*nix box.

YMMV...

dave