Re: Afio

Subject: Re: Afio
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 15:09:14 AKST

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Jim Dory wrote:

> Anyone point me in the direction to find out more about this backup
> program? I've got it working (manually) for full backups to a 40 gig
> tape drive, but I haven't figured out incremental backups with it. I
> don't think I saw it in the man page for the program. I would like to
> set up automatic backups.. incrementals nightly and full maybe once a
> week or so, or couple weeks.

To do incrementals you'd just touch a file somewhere when you run your
full, and then only feed those filenames which are newer than that file to
afio. For example,

  cd home
  find . | afio -o /dev/tape
  touch /etc/afio-tmp-file

and then the next night,

  cd home
  find . -cnewer /etc/afio-tmp-file | afio -o /dev/tape
  touch /etc/afio-tmp-file

You may want to consider doing differential backups instead of
incrementals. Incrementals grab only those files which have changed since
the last incremental or full, where differentials only get the files since
tha last full. The advantage of differentials is that you only need two
backup tapes in order to fully restore; the most recent full and the most
recent diff tape. With incrementals, you'd need the most recent full plus
every incremental you'd done since then. Assuming a weekly full and daily
incrementals, that could potentially be 6 tapes. If you do full backups
monthly, you've got a ton of incremental tapes to deal with.

> I've got two servers and it is hooked to the scsi port of one. The
> machines (Cobalts) came with 3 partitions: root, /var and /home. Mostly
> I would backup home but logs too, I suppose. Guess I could search some
> more on backup policies. I'll have to figure out how to get the other
> server backed up on it as well.

I used to backup multiple Linux boxes to the tape in the backup computer
via ssh like this:

(from backup computer console)
ssh targetcomputer "find /home|afio -o -" > /dev/tape

This requires that afio be installed on all computers that need to be
backed up, but that's no big deal.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax