Re: X Configuration (Newbie)

Subject: Re: X Configuration (Newbie)
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 19:56:09 AKST

Robbie,

I don't know of a downloadable list of commands for Linux, but the
O'Reilly book "Linux in a Nutshell" is essentially that list in book
form.

If this is going to strictly be a server, you might want to try the
basic VGA driver. You'll only get 640x480 out of it, but that may be
all you need.

If all else fails, a basic (but modern) video card should be pretty
cheap. ACB has a ATI Xpert 128 PCI for $39 and an Nvidia TNT2 for $37.

Anthony

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 18:57, Robbie Soares wrote:

> I have tried every S3 card that corresponds to the Brand, the Chip and the
> RAMDAC and all to no avail. I do not have the XF86_VGA driver installed on
> my system. How do I get it off of the installation CDs? I am unfamiliar
> with using Red Hat RPMs and the like. I have ISO CDs for installation.
>
> Also, who knows where there is a good downloadable command reference for
> Linux/Unix. Hopefully in PDF format so I can print it with my Windoze
> machine.
>
> Any and all assistance is very appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Robbie

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things.