Re: Rethinking WiFi

Subject: Re: Rethinking WiFi
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 01:38:00 AKDT

Adam and all...

I bought a) Linksys WPC11, version 3.0, pcmcia card, for WiFi
(802.11b) for $79.99, and b) Linksys WUSB11, version 2.4, USB
connected, for WiFi (802.11b) for $79.99.

I thought I would use the USB _instead_ of a pci card in an OpenBSD
box as the "Wireless Access Point" (wap). My reasoning was to use a
long USB cable to put the tranceiver up near the ceiling (or maybe
even in the plenum). A secondary purpose was to have a demonstration
kit. I would have my laptop with the WPC11, pcmcia card installed,
then I could install the WUSB11 on most modern Windows boxen (having
a CD-ROM drive and an USB port) including laptops and demonstrate
the wonders of WiFi.

I actually did a demonstration at the Mabel T. Caverly Senior Center
(325 E 3rd Ave) last week. I saw that the wap did not need to be
near the ceiling (the offices were very close) even though the
building had metal doors, etc.

Also last week, Friday to be exact, I again attempted to compile the
driver for the WPC11, and got into discussions with Jim Gribbin and
Damien Hull regarding WiFi strategies, various hardware, etc. (and
some pizza - it was a long night). My son, George, came by Sunday,
and we discussed WiFi amongst other topics. Well, by Monday, I had
rethought my WiFi strategy - I planned to return the WUSB and
purchase a WAP.

Well, a trip to Costco intervened. I saw a package deal of a D-Link
WAP with pcmcia card for $179.99. I couldn't resist! So now I have
the two Linksys items surplus to my needs, redundant if you will.

Wednesday I have to make my move or I can't return the Linksys items
to CompUSA.

There you have it. fgd.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:10:03 -0800
"i_robot" <i-robot@gci.net> wrote:

> I've been thinking about doing the same thing, though I'm a bit
> confused as to what you did. What was the Linksys stuff you
> bought? Just the wireless NIC's?
>
> Adam

snip!

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska