Re: cd-rom issues

Subject: Re: cd-rom issues
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 14:11:05 AKDT

Pre-1.0, pretty ambitious!

looking at the web-page, it looks like it's using the devfs filsystem,
try typing as 'root'

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom

If that works you will need to edit your /etc/fstab and add a line,
similar too:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

You might want to check out SourceMage's forums for distro-specific help
as I don't know that anyone here has played with that one yet.

Guessing that this is your first time out, you might want to check out
one of more established distros (RedHat, Mandrake, Suse, Debian, etc)
first to get your feet wet and see what's going on before tackling that
one.

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 13:11, Locke Demosthenes wrote:

> I recently obtained and burnt the stable <a
> href="www.sourcemage.org">SourceMage</a> ISO and after a succsessfull
> installation and first boot-up I ran into a problem:
>
> I can't get my cdrom drive to mount! I tried "mount /dev/cdrom" and was
> told that there was no entry in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. I then changed to
> the /dev directory and tried just typing "cdrom", at this point I was
> greeted with the message
> "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-11
> bash: ./cdrom: Permission denied" :shock: I was running this as root...
> At his point I remembered hearing somthing about a /devices directory so
> after locating that I switched to the cdroms subdirectory. Here I saw a
> cdrom0 file and when I tried to execute this by typing "cdrom0" my drive
> began to spin up and then I was presented with the message:
> "bash: ./cdrom0: Permission denied". I am honestly at a loss at this point.
> I need to mount that cdrom to transfer the pcmcia modem driiver to that
> laptop.
>
> Any assistence would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Gribbin