cd-rom issues

Subject: cd-rom issues
From: Locke Demosthenes (z_i_m@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 13:11:52 AKDT

I recently obtained and burnt the stable <a
href="www.sourcemage.org">SourceMage</a> ISO and after a succsessfull
installation and first boot-up I ran into a problem:

I can't get my cdrom drive to mount! I tried "mount /dev/cdrom" and was
told that there was no entry in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. I then changed to
the /dev directory and tried just typing "cdrom", at this point I was
greeted with the message
"modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-11
bash: ./cdrom: Permission denied" :shock: I was running this as root...
At his point I remembered hearing somthing about a /devices directory so
after locating that I switched to the cdroms subdirectory. Here I saw a
cdrom0 file and when I tried to execute this by typing "cdrom0" my drive
began to spin up and then I was presented with the message:
"bash: ./cdrom0: Permission denied". I am honestly at a loss at this point.
  I need to mount that cdrom to transfer the pcmcia modem driiver to that
laptop.

Any assistence would be greatly appreciated.