Re: Remote backup systems...

Subject: Re: Remote backup systems...
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 01:39:52 AKDT

There is a 'disk-file' option in the newest beta of Amanda. Basically
you create a directory called 'data' and Amadna treats it as if it were
a tape. The normal 'holding disk' is still used (unless you don't want
to).

To mimic a tape changer, create several directories named, for example,
tape01, tape02, etc. Then create a link to it called 'data'. Just
point the link to whichever directory you want to use. I created a
simple shell script that I run right before amdump that sets the link to
the next directory in line.

If you want some help setting it up, just e-mail me and I'll give you
what help I can.

Anthony

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 12:53, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:

> OK, Amanda may be a viable option. Anthony, you said you backup to a large
> IDE drive. In reading the Amanda docs, I find no reference to using a hard
> disk as a final destination; only as a holding place. Do you simply backup
> to the "holding drive" and leave them there? Is this safe? Can you restore
> from the holding drive?
>
> Thanks.
>
> j----- k-----
>
> On Tuesday 01 October 2002 23:11, Anthony Valentine wrote:
> > I use Amanda also, both at work and at home.
> <SNIP>
> > At home, I backup a four Linux PC's. These backups go to a large IDE
> > disk.
>
> --
> Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
> Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
> isd@asuaf.org, 907-474-7601

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things.