RE: X-Windows client

Subject: RE: X-Windows client
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 09:06:20 AKDT

I actually did mean client....I have a Linux box I want to use as an
X-server...but didn't want to change all my Windows boxes to Linux....yet.

This would allow me to say....show off OpenOffice. Using an X Windows
client would be fairly impressive and folks that do have windows programs
that are required can still use them.

Then as we look at upgrading to newer equipment because of XP or whatever
the newest Microsoft product is...I can talk about how we wouldn't have to
except for those folks who absolutely required windows on their desktop.

Additionally, we could design a server that has VMWare GSX to serve up those
few windows boxen that are needed. I know others in the Anchorage Community
are already doing this.

So the goal here is to figure out the least intrusive way to start
introducing Linux into a production environment.

I had an interesting discussion with someone at the Expo on this very
topic...this seems like a good transitional path.

Mike