Re: Remote backup systems...

Subject: Re: Remote backup systems...
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 23:11:47 AKDT

I use Amanda also, both at work and at home.

At work I use it to backup up several AIX servers (including our Oracle
databases) and my Linux PC. These backups go to a DLT tape drive.

At home, I backup a four Linux PC's. These backups go to a large IDE
disk.

I've been very happy with Amanda so far. The few problems I've had
(mostly setup/compile issues) have been solved quickly with the help of
the dedicated folks on the amanda users mailing list.

There is a chapter about Amanda in the book 'Unix Back-up and Recovery',
which you can read online here: http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html

Amanda's website is here: http://www.amanda.org

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 17:19, Mike Tibor wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:
>

> > We're currently using a homegrown backup system here, and it's become
> > apparent that something more is needed. This will probably be a bit long,
> > but input is appreciated.
> >
> > Option 1:
> > Use a system already out there. Our budget is not large, and I'm just plain
> > biased toward GPL-ish software. I've found a couple systems, but neither
> > quite work. One has a very nice web interface, but for for backup/restore it
> > requires using rsync and NFS. Not my choice. The other good one I found
> > (that has a built in protocol [i.e. self contained]) only will write to tape,
> > and not to a hard drive (block device). Any suggestions?
>
> Well, I can't help at all with option 2 (although it sounds fascinating to
> me), but I can tell you I've been extremely happy with AMANDA. It sounds
> as though that might be the second backup system you describe above.
>
> At the moment we're using AMANDA here to backup six or seven Linux and
> FreeBSD boxes, and I've used it at another place where there were over
> twenty servers being backed up. These two examples are probably pretty
> small potatos compared to other installations out there.
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Tibor Univ. of Alaska Anchorage (907) 786-1001 voice
> Network Technician Consortium Library (907) 786-6050 fax
> tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/
> http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/pgpkey for PGP public key

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things.