Re: Remote backup systems...

Subject: Re: Remote backup systems...
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 17:19:25 AKDT

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:

> We're currently using a homegrown backup system here, and it's become
> apparent that something more is needed. This will probably be a bit long,
> but input is appreciated.
>
> Option 1:
> Use a system already out there. Our budget is not large, and I'm just plain
> biased toward GPL-ish software. I've found a couple systems, but neither
> quite work. One has a very nice web interface, but for for backup/restore it
> requires using rsync and NFS. Not my choice. The other good one I found
> (that has a built in protocol [i.e. self contained]) only will write to tape,
> and not to a hard drive (block device). Any suggestions?

Well, I can't help at all with option 2 (although it sounds fascinating to
me), but I can tell you I've been extremely happy with AMANDA. It sounds
as though that might be the second backup system you describe above.

At the moment we're using AMANDA here to backup six or seven Linux and
FreeBSD boxes, and I've used it at another place where there were over
twenty servers being backed up. These two examples are probably pretty
small potatos compared to other installations out there.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax