Remote backup systems...

Subject: Remote backup systems...
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 17:05:54 AKDT

We're currently using a homegrown backup system here, and it's become
apparent that something more is needed. This will probably be a bit long,
but input is appreciated.

Option 1:
Use a system already out there. Our budget is not large, and I'm just plain
biased toward GPL-ish software. I've found a couple systems, but neither
quite work. One has a very nice web interface, but for for backup/restore it
requires using rsync and NFS. Not my choice. The other good one I found
(that has a built in protocol [i.e. self contained]) only will write to tape,
and not to a hard drive (block device). Any suggestions?

Option 2:
Rewrite and extend our current system. I have some preliminary notes. The
server would be xinetd based (makes send/receive really easy) and the client
would connect via sockets. I would write both in Perl.

The format for messages would be:
4 bytes four character command/status/etc
4 bytes length of data (will be in HEX)
X bytes data

Or
4 bytes length of data or command (will be in HEX)
X bytes data or command

The format I use would have an effect on the protocol commands, obviously.
And I probably need to find a nice document on socket programming in Perl.
There are a couple reasons I'm writing this in Perl: 1. I know Perl, and 2.
The client would work on any system that could run Perl*

* And probably some compression software. Although I could do one of two
things: 1) use a compression library in Perl, or 2) make provision in the
protocol for uncompressed data, and compress it when it gets server side.

Anyone have any recommendations, ideas, suggestions, want to help?

I'm all ears.

Thanks.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks