RE: Mail users, User Unknown???

Subject: RE: Mail users, User Unknown???
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 13:19:54 AKDT

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, James Zuelow wrote:

> Is the user really "Elinay" or is it "elinay"?
>
> If you use a capital letter in a user name, most MTAs will not be able to
> deliver mail to that user. They will set everything to lower case. Then
> when they try to deliver mail, there is no user by that name so it gets
> rejected.
>
> One possibility that got me a long time ago. I set up user "James" and
> broke my mail.

With most recent MTAs, this shouldn't be an issue, sendmail included.

It looks to me like from sendmail's perspective, there really isn't any
user named <elinay@swjedi.net> on that box.

Brian, if that's a virtual domain, could there be problems with
/etc/mail/virtual (it's been awhile since I played with the
sendmail virtual stuff, so the filename may be a little different)?

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax