Re: Premissions

Subject: Re: Premissions
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 12:10:52 AKDT

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 11:34, Adam Elkins wrote:

> Ok, I assume it would look someting like this in the fstab
>
> /dev/hda1 ntfs /mnt/windows umask=3D0000
>
> Is this correct?
> Also, for changes to take effect in the fstab, is a reboot needed?
>
> adam
>

> > On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 16:41, Adam Elkins wrote:
> > > Ok, I fixed the mount issue, but now I'm having problems with
> > > read/write.=3D I=3D20
> > > chmod 777 /dev/hda1 and /mnt/windows, but I still cannot write to or
> > > from=3D =3D20
> > > it....
> > >
> > > Adam
> >
> > I will assume that /dev/hda1 is a Windows partition. You can't set
> > permisssions on a fat of vfat file system. You can set it up with the
> > mount command or in fstab. In fstab use the 'umask' option ( man umask)=
> ,
> > I have used umask=3D0000 but this is not the best way, it is open to th=
> > world .

You might want to determine the safety of writing to a NTFS file system
from Linux.

If you have a correct fstab entry you shoud be able to do a 'mount
/mnt/windows'

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

The above is what the fstab on a Debian system looks like. The
umask=000 goes under 'options'. I would only do this on my own
workstation and only to copy something 'from' the NTFS partition.

 If you share the NTFS partition from Windows another Linux box box
running Samba can access it.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.