Re: Premissions

Subject: Re: Premissions
From: Andy Firman (aflist@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 15:22:02 AKDT

Here is my entry in /etc/fstab below.
I am only mounting my Win98 partition because WINE works
so much better on apps installed on Win98 rather than Win2000.
(wine rocks by the way!)
I also posted something below off a newsgroup that really helped me
out alot. I made a directory /win on its own and not in /mnt.

/dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults,auto,uid=1000,guid=1000,exec,umask=002 0 0

Edit /etc/fstab and change your entry to the following options:
#
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win vfat defaults,auto,uid=1001,guid=501,exec,umask=002 0 0

create the mount point, with the mkdir command
* /dev/hda5 is the partition.
* /mnt/win the mount point, created with the "mkdir /mnt/win" command
* vfat is the partitiion type FAT32 with long file names
* auto, the device is mounted at boot time
* uid,guid First I would assume that you work as a user other then root,
when running linux. My suggestion would thus be to make /mnt/win
completely owned by that user, by adding the options uid=user,guid=group
where you substitute the numbers with the correct ones for your (g)uid.
You can obtain the UId and GUID numbers by logging in as the user
concerned and then issueing the command "id".
* umask=002, The default permissions are set with umask variable,
umask=002 (read-write for user and group, others read-only) is pretty
standard. Remember that vfat doesn't have native pemissions so that
trying to change them, whith chmod, or using chown is impossible.
Using umask=000 will give everyone read-write access. If that is what
you want the owner shouldn't be root, as that opens a whole lot of
security concerns!
* exec, you can run programs from the windows partition.

The last two zeor's 0 mean that no back-up will be made, when backing up
the system with dump or compatible tool, and that no fsck will be run on
the partition when it gets mounted (fsck for fat32 under linux isn't
recommended).

For more information take a look at the manual page "man mount"
especially the sections "Mount options for fat" and "Mount options for
vfat" and the man page "man fstab".