Re: IM

Subject: Re: IM
From: R. Andom (random@artificiallives.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 08:44:02 AKDT

I don't know much about rolling your own IM client (I know there are
maintainers for several protocol packages under linux but it seems that
the IM companies break them often enough to where it might not be worth
trying to maintain your own) but I've been using CenterICQ for a year or
two for remote IMing and it works well.

It is console based so you can SSH into a machine to use it, it supports
MSN, AOL, Yahoo, ICQ and basic IRC functionality and the person who
maintains it stays on top of updating it as needed.

I find it works well because no matter what computer I'm using I always
have the same contact list and never end up having to rebuild from the
ground up. Most linux distro's I've seen have packages for it but I would
suggest you download the most current version from his website if you
want the best functionality.

You can search on google for CenterICQ to find the maintainers web site.

-Alan