IM

Subject: IM
bthundereagle@aidea.org
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 20:10:34 AKDT

     Something I have wanted to make for some time is my own Instant Messenger.
This is going to be run off of a Linux web servver using most likely
Javascript, PHP, and Perl. What I need to know is this:

  How would you, in Javascript, PHP, or Perl...create a consitant connection to
another computer through LAN or Internet. Like a TCP/IP connection through a
specific port. Then with that connection, let the users of the computers freely
exchange data. After I make the connection, how do I actually handle Rx and Tx.

     There is probably a good deal of server side programming to do, but my
main issue is making that connection and talking. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

     Brian ThunderEagle
     - bthundereagle@aidea.org
     - furbs@swjedi.net