Re: IM

Subject: Re: IM
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 06:56:35 AKDT

> Something I have wanted to make for some time is my own Instant
> Messenger. This is going to be run off of a Linux web servver using
> most likely Javascript, PHP, and Perl. What I need to know is this:
>
> How would you, in Javascript, PHP, or Perl...create a consitant
> connection to another computer through LAN or Internet. Like a
> TCP/IP connection through a specific port. Then with that connection,
> let the users of the computers freely exchange data. After I make
> the connection, how do I actually handle Rx and Tx.
>
> There is probably a good deal of server side programming to do,
> but my main issue is making that connection and talking. Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

That's a rather loaded question, since you have architectural design decisions
to make as well. There's plenty of TCP client code samples available for the
connection part, as well as forking & threading server samples as well. But
before you even go through that trouble you really need to sit down and decide
on the application protocol, transaction steps, fault tolerance, etc.

Definitely flowchart this one before coding.

        --Arthur Corliss