Re: Linux + 1st National Bank Alaska online statements ??

Subject: Re: Linux + 1st National Bank Alaska online statements ??
From: James Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 00:35:19 AKDT

Stan,

I too have a FNBA account and received that email. I'm not sure how it
will work with the on-line statement, but I wasn't able to use the site
otherwise without IE. As near as I can tell, they are making use of SSL
under IE which as we here all know, has security issues.

You might want to check out these links:

http://linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=333&tid=8
http://www.spirit.com/Network/net1100.txt
http://www.thoughtcrime.org/ie.html

Apparently Conquerer had the same problem, the difference is that KDE
had it fixed in about 1 1/2 hrs, MS is still pointing fingers as too
whose problem it is.

I think the time to start complaining is NOW.

Jim

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 21:59, Stanley Long wrote:

> Customer service at fNBA told me that their system tests for Internet
> Explorer, so Linux can't be used (for commercial accounts).
>
> Now I get an email that seems to say monthly statements for personal
> checking accounts are just downloadable .PDFs. If so, this SuSE box
> should do fine.
>
> Has anyone else been through this already? Comments?
>
> What is the level of security observed for this institution's online
> system?
>
> Ya, I know the only ones who might answer "in the clear" are the ones
> who probably don't know more than I, so private replies are welcome. :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stanley Long
> 337-2303 work
> 337-6161 house

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part