Re: Cat 5 wiring

Subject: Re: Cat 5 wiring
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 00:17:10 AKDT

Ummm...I need to pull out my Leviton manuals to check, but...

IIRC, you may wire all 4 pair for spec compliance, but when it comes down to
it, only two pair are used: One TX pair and one RX pair. Cross-over cables
-- 10bT and 100bT both -- only swap two pairs: the TX and RX pairs. The
reast aren't used.

Granted, you'll never be truly CAT 5e compliant (hmm...should check that too)
if you split your pairs into two runs, but I do know it is done often.

j----- k-----

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 22:45, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> > That is correct - pins 3 and 6 are receive and pins 1 and 2 are
> > transmit. The rest are not used.
> >
> > How you would use the other 4 I don't know - presumably stripping
> > the insulation back aways and splitting it - which would seriously
> > degrade your reliability. I would say theoretically there's no
> > reason you couldn't, but you probably would lose more than it's
> > worth in bad packets (especially with 100mbit ethernet)
> >
> > Just my 2c - It'd be fun to try it and do some tests though! :)
>
> That's not accurate: two pairs are used for 10bT, but 100bT requires all
> four:
>
> ----100Base-T----
> EIA/TIA-568A:
> 1) T3--Wh/Gr
> 2) R3--Gr/Wh
> 3) T2--Wh/Or
> 4) R1--Blu/Wh
> 5) T1--Wh/Blu
> 6) R2--Or/Wh
> 7) T4--Wh/Br
> 8) R4--Br/Wh
> EIA/TIA-568B (AT&T 258A):
> Reverse pairs 2 & 3
>
> ----10Base-T----
> IEEE:
> 1) T2--Wh/Or
> 2) R2--Or/Wh
> 3) T3--Wh/Gr
> 4)
> 5)
> 6) R3--Gr/Wh
> 7)
> 8)
>

> --Arthur Corliss
> Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/
> Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/
> "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
isd@asuaf.org, 907-474-7601