Re: newbie feedback

Subject: Re: newbie feedback
From: Sean Powers (spowers@mtaonline.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 22:37:02 AKDT

Allow me to try that again, without the extras.

Mike,
I am a really new-be. I am almost ready to replace my Win2000 Pro with
something open source, but I do have a major concern: I am for the most part
only familiar with the GUI.
What would you (and the list) suggest I start with? I admit most of what I
read in the list goes right over my head. Is there a distro for me (loaded
question)? Right now, I am interested in a workstation (I currently use
Incredimail for email, Mozilla for browsing, and Open office for work
documents from home). Eventually, I would like to host a web server,
possibly with email, so server is my goal, but I know I'm not ready for that

Sean

P.S. I am looking forward to the Expo and seeing the things you have already
discussed. I think the CD's of distro's are the best way to go, both for OS
and for Open Office. People may listen to you and forget what they have
heard by tomorrow, but the software provides incentive and reminders to go
the next step.
How about a list of available software for various purposes on Linux so
those, like me, who don't know what to do with their new installs can learn
to use it.