Re: newbie feedback

Subject: Re: newbie feedback
From: Sean Powers (spowers@mtaonline.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 22:27:08 AKDT

Mike,=0D
I am a really new-be. I am almost ready to replace my Win2000 Pro with
something open source, but I do have a major concern: I am for the most
part only familiar with the GUI.=0D
What would you (and the list) suggest I start with? I admit most of what=
read in the list goes right over my head. Is there a distro for me (load=
ed
question)? Right now, I am interested in a workstation (I currently use
Incredimail for email, Mozilla for browsing, and Open office for work
documents from home). Eventually, I would like to host a web server,
possibly with email, so server is my goal, but I know I'm not ready for t=
hat
=0D
=0D
Sean=0D
=0D
P.S. I am looking forward to the Expo and seeing the things you have alre=
ady
discussed. I think the CD's of distro's are the best way to go, both for=
 OS
and for Open Office. People may listen to you and forget what they have
heard by tomorrow, but the software provides incentive and reminders to g=
the next step.=0D
How about a list of available software for various purposes on Linux so
those, like me, who don't know what to do with their new installs can lea=
rn
to use it.=0D
=0D
-------Original Message-------=0D