Re: Linux Server and Open Office

Subject: Re: Linux Server and Open Office
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 21:25:02 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Raynor" <bamf75@gci.net>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 4:47 PM
Subject: Linux Server and Open Office

> use. Our goal is to basically 'dip our feet' into Linux. We just
want a
> box that will go onto our Novell network, share a drive and store
files on
> the shared drive. I don't want to be limited to that, eventually I
would
> like to do and see more. I am new to Linux (as if you could not
tell) and
> am not sure what distro/version to use. Any help/advice would be
greatly
> appreciated.

Caldera has licensed a lot of the Novell Netware stuff, so you'll
probably find that it will be one of the easiest distributions to
integrate to your network. (I guess it isn't Caldera anymore, but
OpenLinux or something like that.)

You'll be interested in these links - they appear to be somewhat dated,
but the main SCO search page refers to them with the date of 31 August
2002:

http://www.caldera.com/support/docs/openlinux/netware/

http://www.caldera.com/support/docs/openlinux/netware/installation/licen
se.html#2738

Note that there are other Netware implementations, so you wouldn't HAVE
to use Caldera - but it might be simpler in the end if you are just
learning.

(My favorite Linux is Debian, but I would recommend the simple solution
for someone just learning about Linux in the workplace - which is buying
Caldera.)

Cheers,

James