Re: Linux Server and Open Office

Subject: Re: Linux Server and Open Office
From: Alan Caruth (saono@artificiallives.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 09:58:15 AKDT

>Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:23:07 -0800 (AKDT)
>From: Mike Tibor <tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu>
>Subject: Re: Linux Server and Open Office
>

>On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Buddha wrote:
>
> Mike @ the Library loves *BSD.
>
>Heheh...
>
>Uh oh--have I replaced Marc as the *BSD guy on the list?
>
>:-)
>Mike
-------------------

You aren't alone. I'm a not-in-the-closet OpenBSD user. I use it in almost
any environment where it fully supports the hardware I'm running it on
(which is my biggest problem with it). Athough the application base isn't
quite as robust as in my preferred Linux Distro (Debian) I prefer OpenBSD
as a whole because I like the secure by default attitude. I like loading a
distribution and turning things on rather than having to tear through the
machine modifying startup scripts turning everything I don't want off.

For awhile I was running my personal server on a Dual proc box so I had to
switch back to Linux but as a whole I have preferred OpenBSD for a couple
of years now. I like being able to browse the directories on the system
and know what almost every file and every package on the system is doing
for a living. That is a rare situation in most of todays linux distros
(note the "most" for anyone wanting to argue the point :^)).

Either way I guess mostly it is a religious war these days. If you are
good linux user you can make that secure and stable. If you are good BSD
user you can make that secure and stable. Heck, being a good Microsoft
user you could probably make that secure and s... umm, nevermind...

-Alan

(Note, per my normal job I do both windows and linux/openbsd consulting
work so I can't complain to much, I have customers with windows servers
that are stable and do function well from day to day.. but for most of my
clients with websites I run apache on the peremiter to avoid the weekly
IIS/Windows security patch-a-thon)