Re: Linux Server and Open Office

Subject: Re: Linux Server and Open Office
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 19:08:39 AKDT

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 04:47 pm, James Raynor wrote:
> I have finally convinced my boss to let me try to install a Linux
> server on our network at
> work. I have a 180 Pentium Pro with 256k of ram box that he said I
> could
> use. Our goal is to basically 'dip our feet' into Linux. We just want
> box that will go onto our Novell network, share a drive and store files
> on
> the shared drive. I don't want to be limited to that, eventually I
> would
> like to do and see more. I am new to Linux (as if you could not tell)
> and
> am not sure what distro/version to use. Any help/advice would be
> greatly
> appreciated. I am also interested in Open_Office, I caught the tail
> end of
> a discussion yesterday about a Open_Office demo but I am not sure by
> who or
> where that will take place. Thanks for giving me a clue. Jim

I would recomed RedHat 7.0 or 7.2 they seem to be the most recent stable
versions of redhat. As far as that goes , your choice realy depends or how
much like windows you want it to act. Distro's like mandrake and Suse
insulate the user/administrator from the command line with a lot of wizards.

You can do a lot of network stuff with it , a good use would be to make an
intranet server out of it. Apache web server will run rings around "IIS".
Make a file server out of it , or a print server , or a groupware server.
ahe posibilitys are endless. Ihat ever services you now have running on
windows can be implmented in linux for a fraction of the cost and done
better. I supect you will first want to just show how the OS is more stable
, hell just let it run on a desk top for 6 months , once your boss sees that
it can run without a reboot for years compaired to windows blue screen or
reboots they may get the idea. Show them how you can add software and don't
have to reboot, or how you can start and stop a process or program with a
simple command and it's doesent affect the rest of the computer. Stuff like
that are great selling points. If you want to blow there socks off , install
open office or star office not just the linux versions but also the windows
versions. it look and acts the same on both platforms . And it cost nothing.
per seat. Put up a database like mysql or postgress and show how it gives
you almost the same level of service as MSSQL but not cost per seat to
connect. God there are thousans of thing you can do ... the hardest thing is
convincing the windows guys there is more to computing than clicking on a
ok button. Thats it ok to learn and understand what happining under the GUI.

Good luck if your working in a pure windows shop you'll need it....

Greg