Re: SCSI CD-ROMs

Subject: Re: SCSI CD-ROMs
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:51:46 AKDT

> What generation SGI hardware? All but some *very* recent SGI/IRIX
> systems require 512byte block mode support, and older systems
> (including many early Indigo2s) *must* have the drive hard configured
> by jumper (or hard set in firmware) for 512byte blocks. Later I2s
> and whatnot will automagicly set a drive to 512 byte block model at boot
> via SCSI command (Any SCSI PleXtor, most SCSI Sony, any SCSI toshiba
> with *Nix firmware).

The Pioneer drive has a jumper for 2048/512 modes, but that makes no
difference. The hardware tested on was an I2 R-10k and an Indy R4400.

> Most Sun hardware (including many UltraAXi and AXMP platforms)
> requires it to be set by jumper (some openboot proms will set via
> SCSI command).

Most of what I've read about the latest openboot revs is that they do actually
use the mode command, so I suspect that some of these will work with Suns.
But, seeing as I've already got a working internal CD-ROM, I'm not inclined to
store these as spares.

        --Arthur Corliss