Re: burnproof vs. smart-burn

Subject: Re: burnproof vs. smart-burn
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 12:22:21 AKDT

>On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Justin Dieters wrote:
>

>> I am looking at a CD-RW drive, and the one i'm looking at (a Lite-On
>> 40x) says it has 'smart-burn', but I've only ever heard of 'burnproof'
>> before, and I can't find much about it online other than it is similar,
>> but different than burnproof..
>>
>> I know that eroaster (cdrecord frontend) has support for burnproof, but
>> I haven't seen anything regarding smart-burn.
>>
>> Any opinions? Should I spend twice as much for a Plextor with Burnproof?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>

>"BurnProof" is a particular trademarked method and hardware design for
>pausing a burn on buffer underrun. Multiple vendors license this
>tech.
>

>On a different note, you are not paying twice as much for "BurnProof",
>but a much better quality CDROM. PleXtor makes quality hardware, be
>it IDE or SCSI they are king. For example, all plextor CDROMs dating
>back to 6 speed units (excepts for a single 8X model) and *all* of
>their burners have audio timing regen hardware built in. (CD-Audio
>being a sector based format with no hard timecode jitter is hard to
>overcome)

Hello all-

I would have to concur /w Christopher E. Brown on this CD burner issue. I have
a Lite-On that I have never been entirely successful in obtaining a driver for.

I have several Plexwriter 24/10/40As that work flawlessly. You do not have to
spend to much time dicking around with obstinate hardware b4 you lose in
productivity what you gain on the sticker price. But that is just my 2 cents...

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |