Re: SCSI CD-ROMs

Subject: Re: SCSI CD-ROMs
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 12:27:59 AKDT

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> > What generation SGI hardware? All but some *very* recent SGI/IRIX
> > systems require 512byte block mode support, and older systems
> > (including many early Indigo2s) *must* have the drive hard configured
> > by jumper (or hard set in firmware) for 512byte blocks. Later I2s
> > and whatnot will automagicly set a drive to 512 byte block model at boot
> > via SCSI command (Any SCSI PleXtor, most SCSI Sony, any SCSI toshiba
> > with *Nix firmware).
>
> The Pioneer drive has a jumper for 2048/512 modes, but that makes no
> difference. The hardware tested on was an I2 R-10k and an Indy R4400.
>
> > Most Sun hardware (including many UltraAXi and AXMP platforms)
> > requires it to be set by jumper (some openboot proms will set via
> > SCSI command).
>
> Most of what I've read about the latest openboot revs is that they do actually
> use the mode command, so I suspect that some of these will work with Suns.
> But, seeing as I've already got a working internal CD-ROM, I'm not inclined to
> store these as spares.

Ya, and R10K I2 (any vintage, or any IMPACT R4k I2) should support
setting via mode command if the drive gets it right. Sounds like
funky firmware in the drives. Pioneer, Sony, and Toshiba were all
used in SGI and Sun labeled systems at one time, but they all had PC
and *nix versions of the firmware. Specially on older units the PC
firmware could be problematic (supported a smaller sub-set of SCSI
commands than the *nix version).

I pretty much don't bother any more. I mean if an SS20 comes with the
build in low-pro sony, fine. Otherwise I just pull out another
PleXtor PX40 (think I have 6 or 7 of the things hiding in various
systems).

--
I route, therefore you are.