Re: Coming soon - aka Lindows

Subject: Re: Coming soon - aka Lindows
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 12:05:47 AKDT

I bought a subscription to the Lindows "Insider" program, which gives you
access to their OS. You are right about Wine not being ready for
primetime. I found one program that ran - Terminal Services client, and
that ran like it was on a 386 with 8MB of RAM, very slow (unusable).

I still get all their marketing stuff in my email, and they have really
backed off of the "run Windows programs" approach. Now they are touting
their "Click-n-run" system, which is basically apt with a need web
interface.

In all fairness, Lindows installed easier than any system I have ever
seen, even Windows. I don't think I had to answer a single question, it
autoconfigured everything, not sure if that is good or bad. But the end
result was that I had an Internet connection and a couple of good Linux
applications. Really not a bad deal for $99.

Chris.