Re: Clock drift

Subject: Re: Clock drift
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 10:08:08 AKDT

Its not realy an answer to your questin but Ancordesk had an
article on time and computers today. It's at:

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2873320,00.html

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, James Gibson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: James Gibson <twistedhammer@subdimension.com>
> To: aklug@aklug.org
> Subject: Clock drift
>

> I 'm hoping someone has some advice for me.. My computer's clock seems to
> be have a hard time maintaining it's accuracy while running lately..
>
> Now I've used computers long enough that I expect a bit of drift, but I've
> seen this thing drift as far as 40min. off in a few hours.. and left
> to it's own ends for a few days it will be happy as a clam several hours
> (or days) ahead of where it should be...
>
> Now I can run ntpdate, that's not a problem, but I'm not always connected
> to the net, and I've had a few issues where ntp running in the middle of a
> compile throws the compile off ("Clock skew detected"). Things in general
> don't like to have datestamps in the future..
>
> I haven't replaced the CMOS battery, but this is happening while the
> system is on, so I didn't think that that would be an issue.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated as I don't enjoy showing up to work half
> an hour earlier than I need to.. *grins*
>
> --James

evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org

Remember, if you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day; but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.