Clock drift

Subject: Clock drift
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 17:21:42 AKDT

I 'm hoping someone has some advice for me.. My computer's clock seems to
be have a hard time maintaining it's accuracy while running lately..

Now I've used computers long enough that I expect a bit of drift, but I've
seen this thing drift as far as 40min. off in a few hours.. and left
to it's own ends for a few days it will be happy as a clam several hours
(or days) ahead of where it should be...

Now I can run ntpdate, that's not a problem, but I'm not always connected
to the net, and I've had a few issues where ntp running in the middle of a
compile throws the compile off ("Clock skew detected"). Things in general
don't like to have datestamps in the future..

I haven't replaced the CMOS battery, but this is happening while the
system is on, so I didn't think that that would be an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't enjoy showing up to work half
an hour earlier than I need to.. *grins*

--James