Re: C Header files...

Subject: Re: C Header files...
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 06:33:21 AKDT

I recall reading a rant by Linus to the effect that /usr/include/linux and
/usr/include/asm should not be symlinks to /usr/src, but full-fledged
copies of the header files. The reason is that, apparently, the
headerfiles that you need to compile programs against are not the ones
that your _kernel_ are compiled against, but the ones your _glibc_
libraries are compiled against.

To reiterate, supposedly, if you upgrade your kernel you should NOT update
your header files. The symlink business is apparently was a quick
space-saving hack that has held on too long. IIRC, SuSE no longer does it
that way, but has a seperate header-files rpm.

Anyone more knowledgable than I is more than welcome to set me straight.

Gotta run... Calculus final...

James Gibson